Feel Well Again with Bioidentical Estrogen Replacement Therapy
At Earth Compounding Pharmacy, we offer bioidentical estrogen replacement therapy for women who are suffering from low estrogen levels. This is a very important service because low levels of this hormone can affect a woman’s health and well being and can create very unpleasant symptoms.
Estrogen, a hormone produced in the ovaries and adrenal glands, comes in three forms: estriol, estradiol, and estrone:
- Estriol– Estriol is made from the placenta and secreted during pregnancy.
- Estradiol – Estradiol is the main sex hormone for childbearing women and is in charge of sexual functions and female characteristics. It also plays an important role in women’s bone health.
- Estrone – This hormone, which can be found throughout the body, is the only type of estrogen that remains after menopause.
There are Various Reasons for a Drop in Estrogen Levels
A drop in estrogen levels can be caused by numerous factors and conditions that include the following:
- Hypogonadism – the glands produce no hormones
- Hypopituitarism – the pituitary gland does not produce any, or produces less than, normal amounts of horomone
- Perimenopause or menopause – menses cease
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) – a disorder caused by a hormone imbalance
- Anorexia nervosa – an eating disorder that causes more weight loss than is healthy
- Certain drugs like clomiphene
- Ovarian or adrenal cancer
Estrogen levels drop when one reaches menopausal age, which can be anytime from 40 to 55 years. Early menopause resulting from the removal of the ovaries through surgery can also cause estrogen levels to decline significantly.
Low Estrogen Can Create Various Unpleasant Symptoms
Low estrogen can bring about numerous symptoms such as the absence of menstrual periods, hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, forgetfulness, insomnia, painful intercourse, bladder infections, headaches, and loss of interest in sex.
Emotional changes, such as feelings of depression, irritability, and mood swings, are also common for those with low levels of estrogen. As well, a woman may find it difficult to conceive if levels of estrogen dip too low.
In order to diagnose low estrogen levels in women, a blood or urine test will be performed. For younger women, a test to measure the follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) is done. FSH is directly linked to the production of estrogen, and a low FSH means low estrogen levels.
How Bioidentical Estrogen Replacement Therapy Helps
Bioidentical estrogen replacement therapy is a form of estrogen replacement that increases levels of estrogen in the body through supplemental doses that have chemical structures identical to the hormones produced naturally by the body.
This procedure is done through various methods such as an estrogen patch, vaginal ring, skin cream, or gel. When administered in any of these forms, the hormone enters the bloodstream without passing through the liver. Estrogen in pill form, however, is processed by the liver and can, thus, impair the liver.
Hormone replacement therapy in women can alleviate symptoms of low estrogen. It can decrease frequency and severity of hot flashes, get rid of mood swings, improve sleeping habits, reduce the risk of vaginal irritation, increase levels of collagen in the skin, slow down bone loss, prevent dental problems like tooth loss and gum disease, and much more.
Do you want to know more about our bioidentical estrogen replacement therapy? Don’t hesitate to call the Earth Compounding Pharmacy at 1-310-550-1822.
Patients: The compounded BHRT medications are available by prescription only. Please discuss it with your physician, or contact us with your physician’s name and contact information, and we can supply him or her with additional information.
Doctors: Contact us today to speak with our pharmacists to discuss other combinations that may be available to improve your patient’s symptoms and increase medication compliance.
2060 Lincoln Ave
Pasadena, CA 91103
M-F: 9:30am - 6pm