There are been much controversy about the benefits vs the risks of hormone replacement therapy in menopausal women. At Great Earth Pharmacy our goal is to provide educational material about traditional vs bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. Bio-identical hormones are natural remedies for menopause symptoms. If you or someone you know if suffering due to menopausal symptoms, there is help.
What is Menopause?
As women age they become deficient in estrogen, progesterone, and often times DHEA and testosterone. Symptoms commonly associated with this hormonal changes are:
- Irregular periods
- Vaginal dryness
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Sleep problems
- Mood changes
- Weight gain and slowed metabolism
- Thinning hair and dry skin
- Loss of breast fullness
What was wrong with Traditional Hormone Replacement (HRT)?
Traditional hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in the United States generally consists of an equine estrogen (horse estrogen) and medroxyprogesterone (also known as Progestins). Conventional therapy (not natural remedies for menopause) usually increased the risk for heart attacks, stroke, dementia and breast cancer. The WHI study (Women’s Health Initiative) demonstrated that Compared with the placebo, estrogen plus progestin resulted in:
- Increased risk of heart attack
- Increased risk of stroke
- Increased risk of blood clots
- Increased risk of breast cancer
- Reduced risk of colorectal cancer
- No protection against mild cognitive impairment and increased risk of dementia (study included only women 65 and older)
What are the benefits of Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)?
Bio-identical hormones are chemically endogenous hormones meaning they are chemically modified to match the hormones produced by our bodies. Bio-identical hormones have gained popularity and can be custom made according to physician’s orders by compounding pharmacists in the United States. According to a 2010 article in the Journal of The International Society of Gynecological Endocrinology examined 189 women for a period of over 12 months and found:
- 97% of patients administered natural estrogen plus progesterone (with or without DHEA or testosterone) experienced symptom control.
- 90% of patients demonstrated improved mental symptoms.
- 60% of the patients who had experienced weight gain during menopause, lost almost 15lbs on average.
Additionally, there patients did not experience the complications described with traditional HRT.
Bio-identical hormones provide a natural remedy for menopausal symptoms. If you would like to learn more about bio-identical hormone replacement or to get your hormone levels tested, please call us at 310-550-1822 or visit our website.